HOW IV HYDRATION THERAPY CAN HELP FIGHT THE FLU
Wow! Everyone and their mother seems to be sick this winter season. It has been beautiful and sunny on the west coast and yet in the east coast it’s a frozen tundra. And they say global warming is a myth! The flu has killed 27 individuals in Southern California this winter and many are visiting the hospitals, reporting over 3000 cases of the flu here in San Diego. Lets educate you about what the flu is and some ways to treat your flu naturally. If you think your the only one sick with the flu this winter – you’re not alone! What is the FluThe “flu” comes from the word Influenza, which is an extremely contagious viral respiratory illness caused by Influenza A or B. The flu appears most frequently in the winter and early spring seasons. According to the CDC, Influenza type A is believed to be the most prevalent strain. How is it spread
The virus is spread through respiratory droplets when someone sneezes and you breathe in the air containing those droplets. Influenza can also be spread through saliva when kissing, drinking out of the same glass or eating from the the same utensils as someone who has contracted the virus. The virus also likes to hang out on the handles of doors, television remotes, computer keyboards and telephones and can be spread from hand to mouth. Make sure to wash your hands after touching any of these potentially affected surfaces.
What are some signs & symptoms
It takes approximately 48 hours for the flu to incubate within the body. Typical symptoms include cough, sore throat, chills, low grade fever, body aches, overall weakness and fatigue that occur suddenly. In general, recovery from the flu is typically uneventful, however, the virus can be fatal to certain “high-risk” groups such as infants, the elderly, debilitated individuals with chronic pulmonary disease, heart valve issues, CHF and pregnant women in the 3rd trimester.
What are some natural ways to treat the flu
- Short-term water fasting (1-2 days of consuming only water, 3 days maximum)
- Eating foods which are easily digested- BRAT diet is a good example, which includes bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.
- Drink plenty of fluids (high-quality filtered water, coconut water, fresh squeezed juices, clear broths, herbal teas- chamomile tea, ginger tea, mint tea, turmeric tea)
- Increase Vitamin C intake- fresh squeezed orange juice, adding fresh squeezed lemon juice to your hot tea or water, eating fresh grapefruit or strawberries.
- Heavy protein foods, fats, meats, shellfish
- Cow’s milk and other dairy products
- White bread, refined foods, processed foods, sugar and sweets
- Electrolyte powder – add to water for extra hydration. Electrolytes provide the body with the essential minerals to replenish cellular health.
- Vitamin C – is an antioxidant that helps neutralize free radicals in the body and boosts the immune system.
- Vitamin A
- Contrast shower: Stand under the hot water for 3 minutes, then for 30 seconds stand under cold water. Perform 3 cycles of this.
How does IV therapy help
IV therapy is useful in the reduction of flu symptoms by administering high quality immune-stimulating vitamins, mineral and antioxidants directly into the bloodstream while simultaneously providing hydration. When comparing the oral use of flu-fighting nutrients such as vitamin C, various B vitamins, Zinc, Selenium and Amino Acids, higher concentrations are only achievable with IV nutritional therapy. Providing effective and consistent administration of these nutrients and adequate hydration helps shorten the duration of illness, decrease symptom severity and boost the immune system. IV immune treatment works best when given at the first signs of the flu. Preventative weekly or bi-monthly treatments may also be beneficial. Check out our immune boosting bag and best seller this month!
Testimonial “Dr. Phan was excellent and extremely knowledgeable on the products and very professional. I went in yesterday for an IV treatment (500ml bag) recovering from a virus all weekend and feel significantly better today. I should have gone sooner. 100% will be going back. They have a lot of other shot options I’m definitely getting next time” Todd L.
Dr. Leslie Black ND – LIVV Natural Health – IV Hydration Therapy, Concierge Naturopathic Medicine, Autoimmune disease, Tele-Medicine, and Functional Neurology.